- Mississippi State University Libraries -- Mississippi State University houses Mitchell Memorial Library, a state-of-the-art research library offering online and traditional library services. The system includes four branch libraries, serving Architecture, the School of Veterinary Medicine, the Meridian Campus, and the Jackson Architecture Center. The Library provides a full range of services to off-campus as well as on-campus students. On campus, Mitchell Memorial Library includes abundant study space and a sizable computer lab.
- The Writing Center -- The Writing Center is operated by the English Department and offers writing assistance and tutoring to all Mississippi State University students. All tutors are trained graduate students and instructors from the English department. Assistance is offered in areas ranging from structuring a paper to grammatical concerns to revision strategies.
- MyCourses at Mississippi State -- Mississippi State University employs a Blackboard Learn system, locally named myCourses, to allows instructors to add electronic components to their classes. The system provides for delivery of online classes, and is used as a supplement in many traditional classes, allowing the posting of notes, administration of quizzes and tests, and coordinating discussion sessions.
Writing Guides, Grammar Guides, Formatting Guides, Dictionaries
- Little, Brown Handbook -- guide to usage and MLA and APA format; the guide adopted by the Freshman Committee for use in all freshman classes offered by this department.
- Elements of Style by William Strunk, Jr. & E.B. White -- guide to usage.
- Bedford Handbook -- guide to usage and MLA, APA, and Chicago format.
- Harbrace Handbook -- guide to usage and MLA and APA format.
- MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers -- the complete guide to MLA paper format.
- Chicago Manual of Style -- guide to usage and formatting for materials adhering to the Chicago Manual of Style conventions.
- A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations by Kate Turabian -- guide to usage and formatting for materials adhering to the Turabian stylistic conventions.
- Publication Manual for the American Psychological Association -- guide to usage and formatting for materials adhering to APA stylistic conventions.
- American Heritage College Dictionary, 4th. edition -- the dictionary recommended by the Freshman Committee for use in all freshman classes offered by this department.
- Oxford English Dictionary (the OED) -- the reference work used to discern the meaning(s) of a word in the historical context of its appearance; the work that should be consulted to determine the contextually accurate meaning of a word in any non-contemporary piece. The more current, online version is available through the Mississippi State Libraries computer system. It should be recommended that students use the online version, as the most recent print version is growing out-of-date.
- Mitchell Memorial Library's guide to on-line style manuals, quote books, and dictionaries, as well as other directory information -- http://library.msstate.edu/resources/internet/reference_desk.asp
- The OWL at Purdue http://owl.english.purdue.edu/ -- more than just style guides: the OWL at Purdue offers extensive online writing, research, and MLA and APA style help. Now celebrating its tenth year of operation, the OWL at Purdue receives over 50,000,000 visits per year.
- Bibliodata -- http://www.bibliodata.com -- free online thesaurus with several interesting features; this is a recently established and presumably commercial site; it appears convenient to use.
Anthologized Public Domain Literature On-Line
- Project Gutenberg -- http://www.gutenberg.org/ -- contains the e-text of nearly 50,000 books; reflects the great project to provide on-line access to the great literature of the world.
- The Academy of American Poets -- site includes "over 2,500 poet biographies, over 6,500 poems, as well as essays about poetry, and some of the most important books, anthologies, and textbooks about the art form ever written."
- The Poetry Foundation -- site includes a sizable selection of poetry, over 43,176 poems; "The Poetry Foundation, publisher of Poetry magazine, is an independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture."
- Bartleby.com -- http://www.bartleby.com -- includes The World Factbook; Roget’s International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases; Bartlett's Familiar Quotations; King James Version of the Bible; Strunk's The Elements of Style; and a wide variety of other reference items, including poetry anthologies.
- Sacred Texts.com -- http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm -- Includes sacred texts and essential writings from a variety of religious traditions; also includes such culturally interesting items as portions of Burton's Arabian Nights.
- Representative Poetry On-line -- http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca -- A survey anthology of English language poetry.
- ManyBooks.net -- http://manybooks.net/ -- An eclectic selection of over 23,000 ebooks for free download.
- East of the Web.com -- features an exensive range of short stories including a wide selection of classic ghost stories.
- Gaslight -- a site focusing onstories mystery, adventure, and The Weird written between 1800 and 1919.
Glossary of Literary Terms
- Some Terms for College English Students -- includes extended definitions of many terms related to the study of English and American literature and their historical context. Written by an individual faculty member, it does not purport to be a complete source but does offer a wide range of literary terms and historical background terms.
On-line General Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Wikipedia.org -- user written; features extensive information with some unevenness in quality and reliability; an excellent general source for users with good evaluation skills; not a scholarly source, despite the high quality of many of the articles. Wikipedia should be used in the same fashion as a general encyclopedia, but with additional concerns regarding accuracy and consistency of the writing level.
- http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/ -- good quality general dictionary.