- University of Memphis: Ph.D. program in Applied Linguistics with an emphasis in teacher training, secondary education, linguistics and literature, and discourse analysis.
- University of Mississippi: Ph.D. program in the education department that specializes in TESOL (training in teaching, teacher training, research, curriculum development and administration).
- Georgia State University: Ph.D. program that concentrates on theory and practice in ESL.
- Iowa State University: Ph.D. Program in Applied Linguistics and Technology.
- University of Alabama: Ph.D. in English with a concentration in Applied Linguistics
- Oklahoma State: Ph.D. in TESL/Linguistics.
- LSA: Linguistic Society of America
- SECOL: South-Eastern Conference on Linguistics
- AAAL: American Association for Applied Linguistics
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages: national organization dedicated to the improvement and expansion of the teaching and learning of all languages
- Office of English Language Acquisition: Government agency (Department of Education)
- TESOL: National association for teachers of English to speakers of other languages
- AMTESOL: Alabama-Mississippi TESOL